The building work will take more or less a month to complete.
Her presentation was short and sweet – it only lasted about 10 minutes but she got in everything she needed to include.
I’ve booked a holiday in the countryside this summer. I’m really looking forward to enjoying the peace and quiet and getting away from the city.
Sooner or later they’ll realise what a silly mistake they’ve made.
The underlined pairs of words above are examples of binomials – words which often appear together joined by a conjunction (e.g. and) or a preposition in a fixed order (e.g. it’s always more or less not less or more).
Today’s collocation challenge includes a test of some of these pairs.
The challenge: choose a pair of words from the image to complete sentences 1-10. We’ll publish the answers in a few days in the comments section.
1) I won’t explain everything that happened in the meeting but the __________ of it is that we’ve successfully negotiated an extension of the contract.
2) Having grown up in the countryside it was quite hard to get used to the __________ of city life when I first moved here.
3) The closure of the train station has left many commuters who relied on the train for getting to work __________.
4) It’s __________ with him – he either plays brilliantly or he seems completely useless!
5) It was __________. If I didn’t tell her how I felt now, I knew I never would. I took a deep breath and…
6) Working to tight deadlines is __________ of my job.
7) He expects his mum to be at his __________ 24/7.
8) People came from __________ to see the exhibition.
9) Local residents have been fighting __________ to prevent the closure of the station in their village.
10) Considering its age the car is in pretty good condition – just a few scratches, you know, a little __________ around the bodywork.